Sunday, February 9, 2014

Adventure Awaits Outside

I took last week off of posting because I was extremely sick with the second stomach bug of 2014. I'm hoping it's the last! My workouts suffered accordingly, but over the course of the week I was able to get back on track. I swam my fourth mile toward my 50 mile goal. It's so cold and snowy outside and I'm finding myself with spring fever and wanting to get outside and play in warmer weather. We did spend some time over the weekend building a little snow fort (actually Joshua called it a snow castle from "Frozen") and riding the snowmobile. I went on my first snowmobile ride in years and, just as I remembered, Ed drives too fast for my taste! It was a short ride. 


I grew up spending tons of time outdoors in the winter. We had fun skating when the pond froze and I'd twirl around doing my best impression of Nancy Kerrigan. When we got to head up north to Vermont there was plenty of skiing on the easy "Toll Road" for me. I have no desire to fall when I ski, so a leisurely trip back and forth was just what I enjoy. I also liked to ride snowmobiles (slowly) and sled down the hill.  

I've found that getting outside in the winter happens less now that I'm an adult, but I'm making an effort to get out into nature when I can. The fresh air and sunshine help get rid of my feelings of cabin fever and brighten my mood. My kids sleep better when they spend more time outdoors and they seem to be in better moods, too. It's still nice to play in the snow even though I can't wait to swim out in the sunshine again!


No comments:

Post a Comment